Sunday, January 1, 2012

cookies for Santa

The kids left the best chocolate chip cookies for Santa this year.
In my opinion, they rocked!
Truth be told, I forgot that I needed to have cookies and carrots ready for Santa and his reindeers. So, around 11 pm on Christmas Eve I baked a batch of fabulous chocolate chip cookies.

Here is the recipe I used (stolen from the wrapper of Crisco):
-3/4 stick of Crisco Baking Sticks All Vegetable Shortening or 3/4 cup Crisco All Vegetable Shortening
-1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
-2 tablespoons milk
-1 tablespoon vanilla extract
-1 large egg
-1 3/4 cups Pillsbury Best All Purpose Flour
-1 teaspoon salt
-3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 (6 oz.) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)...I add A LOT!
-Optional--1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Heat oven to 375. Beat shortening and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in milk, vanilla and egg. Stir in flour, salt, and baking soda. Blend in chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by rounded measuring tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes for chewy cookies or 11 to 13 minutes for crisp cookies. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet. NOTE-If nuts are omitted, add an additional 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.

The next day Jake ate about 8 of them. Just the inside of the cookies. He left the crusts of the cookies inside the cookie jar.

1 comment:

The Schmidt Family said...

I lOVE that recipe! After failing miserably with the recipe on the back of the Nestle Chocolate Chip bag, I turned to my recipe from crisco. Poey on the carrots and bring on the cookies! It looks like Santa hit the right house.