Friday, December 23, 2011

hunting trip 2011

On Monday evening, my boys returned home from their first hunting trip. I had visions that they would return home with some amazing pictures of their catch. However, I think picture taking was far from their minds. I'm proud to report that they returned home with what the boys were telling me was a "nub buck" (a deer that is just beginning to grow antlers). They shot it just before dark, after having sat in a deer stand for 2 hours, while Jake had to pee the whole time.
The next morning, Cameron took a shot at a huge hog approx. 300-400 lbs! By far the biggest one they had ever seen. He barely missed him, shooting just a little low but you couldn't tell from his excitement that he even missed. He said it was so foggy, cold, windy and in a heavy rain. Dusty said it was probably a good thing that he missed because it would have been a nightmare tracking that big boy.
All in all, the boys had a great time! We'll have a freezer full of deer meat and a cool white-tail skin that we got tanned for possibly making a blanket or something else cool. I'm so glad that my kids will have so many wonderful memories of time spent with their dad. Something that I feel is a rarity these days.

No comments: